Skip to main content

UNC has a page, Parenting @ UNC, that is a good starting place for resources and policies if you are a student parent, future student parent, or student caregiver for a family member. In addition, the Carolina Women’s Center has programs and resources that are worth exploring. Beyond those central UNC pages, BBSP students recommended these tips and resources.

Health & Insurance

  • Enrolling dependents on graduate student health insurance (GSHIP): If you want to enroll a spouse, child, or other dependent on your health insurance plan, you can call BCBS at 800-579-8022. You’ll need to provide their social security number and prior insurance information. Enrollment for spouses, children, and dependents ends on August 31. You would be responsible for paying the dependent’s portion of coverage directly to BCBS.
  • Lactation rooms and support
  • The Orange County Health Department provides many services for families, including these child and adolescent health services and immunizations
  • Primary and dental care from the UNC Student Health Action Coalition (SHAC)


After-School Activities

  • YMCA before- and after-school programs
  • Carrboro Arts Center after-school programs


Food & Other Items

  • TABLE – nonprofit that provides meals and nutrition education services for children in Orange County, NC

Family Planning

  • Campus Health offers sexual health and pregnancy services
    • While the Campus Health fees are paid automatically for students in the Fall and Spring semesters, PhD programs usually only cover the fee in Summer upon request. If you want to access the services of Campus Health (including CAPS), contact your Student Services Manager to see how the program can cover the fee.


Legal Questions