The BBSP program and UNC offer full financial support to all our graduate students. This support includes a yearly 12 month stipend, health insurance, tuition, and student fees. Financial support is guaranteed during training for any student in good academic standing. UNC has many externally funded training programs that provide stipend support for some students in their 2nd, 3rd or sometimes 4th year. UNC also encourages students to apply for extramural fellowships; we provide workshops, advice, and assistance, and many of our students compete successfully for prestigious independent funding from the NIH, the National Science Foundation, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the American Heart Association, the American Society for Microbiology, etc.
Quick Funding Facts
- The annual stipend for 2019-2020 will be $32,000. In addition, BBSP pays your UNC fees (currently $1,964), health insurance (currently $3,259), and tuition (currently $10,243 plus out-of-state tuition when applicable). Total student compensation is thus > $47,000; student financial support is then covered by the thesis lab and/or program beginning in the second year.
- Graduate student health insurance coverage is administered via the Blue Cross Blue Shield Student Blue plan.
UNC based Pre-Doctoral Training Programs that offer funding to BBSP students
- Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (for students in Bioinformatics & Computational Biology PhD program)
- Cancer Cell Biology Training Program
- Environmental Pathology Training Program (for students in the Pathobiology & Translational Science PhD program)
- Genetics & Molecular Biology (for students in the Genetics & Molecular Biology Phd Program)
- Immunology (for students in the Microbiology & Immunology PhD program)
- Initiative for Maximizing Student Development
- Integrative Vascular Biology
- Mechanistic, interdisciplinary studies of Biological systems (MiBio)
- Molecular Biology of Viral Diseases
- Molecular & Cellular Biophysics
- Neurosciences (for students in the Neurobiology PhD program)
- Pharmacological Sciences (for students in the Pharmacology PhD program)
- Program in Translational Medicine
- Toxicology (for students in the Curriculum in Toxicology)