Required Materials & Information
- Transcripts (complete, not selected courses)
One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application; we only accept unofficial uploads for application evaluation. If you are offered admission, one official transcript for each university attended will be required prior to the first day of the term.
- Current letters of recommendation
You will be required to submit the email address for three recommenders in order to submit the application. Your recommender will be contacted directly by UNC and given a link to upload their letter electronically to your file. We do not accept letters of recommendation mailed directly to the program. Successful applicants have at least one reference letter from a research laboratory mentor.
- Standardized test scores (GRE)
UNC Graduate School Institution Code: #5816 (no department code)
GRE scores must be no more than 5 years old from the submission date of the application
GRE Subject test not required
- Statement of purpose
Please address the questions below in your personal statement. Upload one document with two or three separate sections (depending on whether you answer the optional question), with each section clearly labeled [Statement of Purpose Upload]. While there is no specific required length, most statements are longer than one page but do not exceed three pages.
- REQUIRED Describe your previous research experience(s). Make sure to elaborate on your motivation to pursue your research project(s), what your role was in the project(s), as well as any results/presentations/papers resulting from the project(s).
- REQUIRED Tell us about your motivation for seeking a PhD in the biomedical sciences, your research interests and what type of research you hope to pursue in graduate school. Also please tell us what you would like to do after graduate school and how you perceive a PhD will be a step in your desired career path.
- OPTIONAL Is there anything else not addressed in the questions above that you would like the committee to take into account as they consider your application?
- Supplemental informationResearch Areas of Interest: (in the “Plans for Graduate Study” section of the application): Indicate at least one and up to five research areas that most closely match your research goals from the application list in rank order of preference. We use these preferences match your application to faculty admissions committee reviewers.
Faculty of Interest: Indicate in the online application at least one and up to five faculty from the BBSP website faculty database using the format described below:
- List the faculty in order of interest.
- Please make sure to include the first AND last name of each faculty and double check that you have the correct spelling.
- Once we have received all required application materials and fees, the review and evaluation of your application will begin. While the recommendations and test scores will likely arrive at the Graduate School at different times, it is your responsibility to make sure the online application is submitted and the fee paid prior to the application deadline.
- Please note: do not submit copies of publications, or any additional materials. You may detail your research projects, papers, and other experience within your statement of purpose or your resume/CV. Citations to published work should appear in your CV.
Additional Materials for International Applicants:
- International Student Data Form (U.S. Immigration requirement for entry into the United States)
Must be uploaded as part of your application. Click here for our instruction document on how to complete your form.