Required Materials & Information
- The priority deadline for Fall 2018 admissions is November 27, 2017. All admissions committees will begin reviewing applications on this date. We highly recommend that you submit your application by our priority deadline. The official deadline for Fall 2018 admissions is December 5, 2017. No applications will be accepted, for any reasons, after the deadline.
- Application fee (non-refundable $87.50)
[Fee waiver: there are several categories of applicants who may qualify for an application fee waiver. For more information, please see the Graduate School’s Information on Application Fee Waiver Requests. Application fee scholarships are available for applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the biomedical sciences. Please contact Dr. Ashalla Freeman for information about scholarship eligibility.]
- Transcripts (complete, not selected courses)
One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application; we only accept unofficial uploads for application evaluation. If you are offered admission, one official transcript for each university attended will be required prior to the first day of the term.
- Current letters of recommendation
You must submit email addresses for at least three recommenders far enough in advance of the deadline so that their letters can be uploaded by December 1. Your recommender will be contacted directly by UNC and given a link to upload their letter to your file.Please consider sharing the information below with those who are submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf:
- The most effective references come from faculty with whom you have conducted independent/original research. Letters jointly written by faculty with senior lab members (e.g. postdoctoral scientists, staff, senior graduate students) are welcome if they provide greater insight into your accomplishments and potential as a scientist. Letters from only senior lab members without a faculty letter have much less impact.
- Admissions committees greatly value letters that specifically describe qualities such as motivation, work ethic, resilience, persistence, initiative, intellectual contribution, and collegiality in research and academic settings.
- Standardized test scores (GRE)
UNC Graduate School Institution Code: #5816 (no department code)
GRE scores must be no more than 5 years old from the submission date of the application
GRE Subject test not required
- Statement of purpose
Please address the questions below in your personal statement. Upload one document with two or three separate sections (depending on whether you answer the optional question), with each section clearly labeled [Statement of Purpose Upload]. While there is no specific required length, most statements are longer than one page but do not exceed three pages.
- REQUIRED Describe your previous research experience(s). Explain your motivation to pursue this research, the scientific rationale for the project(s), and your role in the project(s). Summarize outcomes, challenges, and objectives.
(Note that Statements of Purpose lacking an informative description of your research experience are considered non-responsive to the instructions.).
- REQUIRED Describe your motivation for seeking a PhD in the biomedical sciences, and what general type of research you hope to pursue in graduate school. Explain how a PhD will be a necessary step towards your career goals.
- OPTIONAL Is there anything else not addressed in the questions above that you would like the committee to take into account as they consider your application?
- Supplemental information
Research Areas of Interest: (in the “Plans for Graduate Study” section of the application): Indicate at least one and up to five research areas that most closely match your research goals from the application list in rank order of preference. We use these preferences match your application to faculty admissions committee reviewers.Faculty of Interest: Indicate in the online application at least one and up to five faculty from the BBSP website faculty database using the format described below:
- List the faculty in order of interest.
- Please make sure to include the first AND last name of each faculty and double check that you have the correct spelling.
- Once we have received all required application materials and fees, the review and evaluation of your application will begin. While the recommendations and test scores will likely arrive at the Graduate School at different times, it is your responsibility to make sure the online application is submitted and the fee paid prior to the application deadline.
- Please note: do not submit copies of publications, or any additional materials. You may detail your research projects, papers, and other experience within your statement of purpose or your resume/CV. Citations to published work should appear in your CV.
Additional Materials for International Applicants:
- Selection for BBSP admissions from the pool of foreign applicants is particularly competitive. Successful applicants from this group typically have contributed to peer-reviewed publications and have significant breadth/depth of research experience. Substantial proficiency in both written and oral communication in English is required.